Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pig Feet and Strobe Lights

So last friday i got to experience some Spanish night life in Logrono, the capital city of La Rioja. All of the professors and myself went there for a dinner party. Given the fact that they are older than me (upper 20s-mid 30s), I really did not know what to expect; were we going to just have dinner? Coffee and desert possibly? Maybe some drinks afterward, perhaps? Feeling a bit reluctant to ask about details, I ultimately opted to let the evening come to me and let the chips fall as they may, that approach would be more exciting anyway.

Man, was I in for a surprise.

We had a couple of drinks before at a bar and then off to dinner we went at around 10:30. Due to some suffix-translating error on my part, I misunderstood the waiter when he was calling out our main course options. I thought I heard "patatitas" (which literally translates to 'little potatoes') when in reality he said "patitas" (pigs feet). Everyone got a laugh out of it and it became the running joke of the evening. I didn't mind, I have always wanted to try pigs feet anyway; besides, I told myself when I came here that I was going to venture into the culinary traditions of Spanish cuisine. They were actually very tasty, reminded me of chicken wings.

After 11 bottles of wine amongst 12 individuals, and an after dinner drink which was abruptly followed by a shot of herbal liquor that is supposedly good for the digestive system, the dinner was over by 1:15 am. I figured that the night had to be close to over as well, but I was dead wrong.

We ended up bar-hopping until about 4:30 and then it was off to the club (discotech) until about 6:30 in the morning. By the time we returned to our respective homes (well, I ended up sleeping at one of the teacher's homes) the sun was up.

Gotta love the Spanish night life.

No comments:

Post a Comment